Monday 21 March 2016

A different kind of corkscrew...

Following my Rioja wine tasting trip, the irony of having a corkscrew like device drilled into my hip was not lost on me as I lay there on the bed waiting for the doctor to do his thing. It's been six whole months since my stem cell transplant and they need to know if I'm still cancer free. It was three months ago when they last did this so here's hoping that I still am.

Bone marrow biopsies are never fun. They f-cking hurt. People who say they don't are lying or just trying to make you feel better. Or they are just masochists. I've lost count of the number of times I've had them done since 2010. I could just count the scar holes in my hip area I suppose. Six, seven, eight. Anyway, it's always good to take whatever pain relief they offer (gas and air is now included) and to hold someone's hand throughout the ordeal. As I've said, it really bloody hurts.

In the absence of the hand that held mine in the past, you know you have a friend for life when said friend happily holds your hand and distracts you while you cry like a baby as a doctor corkscrews away into your hip bone... Thank you Martha for everything.

Footnote: Since I wrote the above blog post, the biopsy is still indicating that I'm still cancer free. Woop! Woop! I'm not dead yet! Life goes on :-)


No comments: