Monday 21 March 2016

Trainspotting - the play

Back in the Nineties, life for me was so much simpler. I was young, free and single with the world at my feet and the nearest party a tube, taxi or free lift away. Drinking, dancing and general partying was priority and having fun the end goal.  I know that spirit is still within me but obviously it's different now. I'm much older for a start and whether it's life, age and general decrepitude that changes you, I can't do that sort of partying anymore!

So when I saw 'Trainspotting - the Play' at the King's Head theatre last month, I felt as if I had time travelled to that time of hedonistic abandon again. 

The toilet for the infamous toilet scene

The play is great. If you get a chance to see it, do so. Like the film and the book it was funny, hard hitting, visceral and thought provoking. We got to sit by the toilet for the infamous toilet scene and it was strangely exhilarating to be covered in fake stage shite as the scene unfolded!

The most memorable part for me was the start of the play. It involved a clubbing scene and because the play was 'immersive' with the audience sat around the set, I got to dance with the cast. I must have looked ridiculous in my work dress dancing like nobody was watching but I loved it!

For the 4 mins 'Ebenezer Goode' by the Shamen lasted, I was on that podium at the Forum again. It felt great. No cancer, bad hair, sad relationship thoughts, self-esteem issues or worries about the future. I wish I could have bottled that moment just to have. To have the bottle so that every now and again, if I ever felt low, I would have it to remind me of this feeling. Of a happy time gone but not forgotten. Something I'll hopefully get to experience again one day.

Naughty! Naughty!
Dancing like nobody is watching
Glowstick bracelet - wish I could have
worn it for longer!


All photos belong to shewithacapitalV

No comments: